Thursday 11 April 2013

Gajar(Carrot) Halwa-Gajrela

Gajar(Carrot) Halwa-Gajrela


Gajar halwa is one of my favorite. I make whenever I buy fresh carrot. Traditionally, milk and carrot is cooked till milk becomes solid, but with modern approach, halwa is done quickly. I use milk powder instead of milk to reduce the cooking time. These days, I make in pressure cooker to make it even more faster. Sometimes, condensed milk, ricotta cheese, or other mil...k products are used to make this halwa. But the best thing I like is less milk and more carrot in my halwa. And I do not like overcooked carrot. I just cook gajar(Carrot) little bit.

Prep Time:5-8min

Cooking Time: 12-15min

Servings: 4

Ingredients:
Gajar(Carrot): 3, large grated(makes about 2cups)
Dry non-fat milk powder: 1/2 cup
Sugar: 1/4 cup or to taste
Nuts: 2 tbsp ( I used almonds)
ghee(clarified butter): 3 tbsp
Cardamom Powder: 1/2 tsp or to taste

Gajar Halwa with milk burfi on top


Direction:
Melt ghee in a pan. Roast nuts for 1min and set aside(This step is optional-you can add raw nuts or roasted).
In the same pan, stir in grated carrots and cook for 6-7 mins on medium heat, uncovered. Carrot must be soft by now, if not cook for another couple mins.
Now add dry milk powder n sugar. Cook for 3-4 mins or until halwa oozes oil from sides. Adjust sugar to your taste.If you want that grainy taste of milk powder little bit more, than try adding little milk powder.
Garnish with almonds n switch off.
Serve hot with puri or eat as it is..

No comments:

Post a Comment